Thursday, January 1, 2009

Start of a New Year

The night was calmer than yesterday was. His vital signs are stable although he is still largely unresponsive unless he is moved and then he is not happy. They are keeping him pretty sedated as otherwise he would pull the tubes out.

The plan is that we are treating Tracy with the deepest hope that he will recover. Therefore Dr. Law suggested that we insert a temporary feeding tube as well as IV hydration so that Tracy will have all of the strength that he needs to fully recover. Dr. Law is the most optimistic doctor that has been seeing Tracy and he wants him to fully recover, so I am putting a lot of faith into his judgment. I think he understands based on his email reply what we hope to achieve. He also has been Tracy's primary care doctor for many years and likes Tracy and wants the best for him. I do not know how long they believe is a reasonable time to decide if the antibiotics are helping or not. They are doing another chest xray and arterial blood gas this morning. I believe if the chest xray shows signs of improvement (the last two showed no change) and the blood gas levels have dropped well then that is good news. I do not know how they will decide to reduce the ventilation or if they know how well that will work. Questions for this morning I guess. I hope that when Tracy recovers he will think we did a good job making decisions for him. Trevor and Hannah were actually great yesterday. It was obviously a really emotional day for us all but I think the three of us did a good job. We have formed a new bond that I hope can continue. I think that will please Tracy.