Monday, March 2, 2009

March 2

This morning things were going okay. He was doing some of the breathing exercises and seemed a little more alert. He also now weighs 111 pounds. Then unbeknownst to me he took about 40 mg of oxycontin. He is prescribed 5 mg every 6 hours. I had pretty much taken it away for this very reason, but he found it. It is amazing how well he can get around when he is on a mission. I do not think he intends to take extra but he forgets if he took one or not, so takes another. Also he chews them when they are not supposed to be chewed. This afternoon he is largely unresponsive. So I am pretty sure the unresponsiveness is related to the oxy and not solely the CO2 retention. I am sure that some of it is CO2.

I do not know exactly what to do even. He has made it clear that he does not want to go back to the hospital. I do not blame him. There is not much they can do beyond the ventilator which just prolongs life and does not fix anything. Plus if he is hooked to a ventilator then we do not go to Cleveland.

He was doing the breathing exercises earlier at least. And walked around enough to find the oxy. This amount of oxy is not enough to hurt him. It just does not make it where he does much or is very coherent.